Imagine If - Antique Upholstered Chair

Today I saw this antique chair listed on Craigslist for $95. In full disclosure, buying upholstered furniture on Craigslist can be risky, because there's always the chance of ending up with bedbugs - ick. For the sake of this Imagine If, let's imagine that we know for certain there are no bedbugs on this sad looking chair:

So what are we to do with it? Re-upholster! In truth, I know very little about re-upholstering furniture, but the new Design*Sponge book has a great section on it! The best thing about re-upholstering a piece of furniture is that you can make all the choices. Our chair could be...

...painted white and upholstered in a rich teal

...gold leafed with a soft neutral upholstery

...covered in something wild, like suzani print

...or something graphic, like this David Hicks' La Fiorentina, seen here on Ruthie Sommers' famous couch:
Image by Melanie Acevedo for Domino Magazine

...or something painted in a more muted color scheme

What would I do? I'd mix it up, with something solid on the front, and something wild on the back, like this:

 or this:

Imagine if!

Comments

  1. I like where your head is at! I want to eventually reupholster my bergere chairs. Thinking I'll do something funky on the back as well.

    Also, just wanted to say a big thank you for your tips on my upcoming SF trip!! Sorry it's taken me so long to hop over here.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... but of course, Naomi! Let me know if you need any other suggestions while you're here! I love this city. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you remember the name of the Suzani fabric on that chair? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Traci, unfortunately I wasn't involved with the upholstery of that chair. (I never even saw it in person.) I'd try asking the 1st dibs vendor linked underneath the picture! Good luck :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts