Tasty Bites - Oatmeal Protein Bars


Inspired by these recipes from Trim and Toned, I decided to make some healthy bars - something I could grab and go in the mornings, since I never have time to sit down on weekdays. My original intention was to stick with Arian's recipe, but I couldn't decide which one to make. After buying most of the ingredients, I decided to create my own. Here's my version of her recipe:

Ingredients:
• 3 cups whole oats
• 1 cup ground flax seeds
• 1 cup almond meal
• 4 scoops vanilla protein powder
• 2 cups plain nonfat greek yogurt
• 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
• 1/4 cup honey
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• tasty mix-ins of your choice (see below)

Preparation:
• Preheat the oven to 350ºf.
• Grease a cookie pan (or use a silicone baking mat.)
• In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, (oats, flax seeds, almond mean and protein powder.)
• In a second bowl, mix together the wet ingredients, (yogurt, apple sauce, honey and vanilla.)
• Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until combined, then add the mix-ins of your choice. This is where it gets fun. I split my batter into three smaller bowls, and made three varieties; one with cinnamon, coconut, and chocolate chips, one with dried cranberries and white chocolate, and one with almonds, a little peanut butter, and more chocolate chips. The possibilities are endless. Other mix-in ideas include dates, raisins, dried cherries, orange zest, and other fruit, walnuts, pecans, macadamia and other nuts, or even pumpkin puree, coffee, and other liquids. I'd just add more dry ingredients to balance a bit.
• Spread your batter onto your cookie tray and bake for around 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, slice, and let cool.
Viola!

Comments

Popular Posts